8/18/2015

The Christian Life


This was my apologetic professor's ending 'devotional thought' - it was a blessing for me to read so I thought I would pass it along!

~

"The Christian life is full of twists and turns, many of which the Lord brings our way without warning, without our permission, and sometimes as a shock. Yet, He is the Lord, and His ways are always best. We may not see the whys and wherefores in this life, but we can be assured that we will understand them in the life to come.

As I write these words, my thoughts drift back to Valentine’s Day 2008 when my stepson was shot at a college shooting (Northern Illinois University) where five students were killed, the gunman committed suicide, and over twenty students were wounded, some severely. My wife and I still struggle with thoughts pertaining to that day and feel the deep loss of Dan, who had much to offer this world—yet He is with the Lord now.

Why do I share this with you? The Christian life is not a bed of roses. It is a battle and we are all called upon to be faithful warriors in this spiritual war. God loves us, but it is a love born in the midst of battle. The mortar shells of sin are falling and exploding all around us. The enemy (Satan) fights and sometimes has victories (examples: Northern Illinois University, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine) yet God’s victories are greater still. And He will win. It is our calling to be both salt and light (Matt 5:13-16). The weapons that we use are not the weapons of this world, they are the Word of God, the Spirit of God, righteousness, truth, and prayer. “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power, put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes” (Ephesians 6:10-12)."

No comments:

Post a Comment